Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Winter Solstice

These are all my notes on Winter Solstices, for perpetuity - until such a time as I have a standalone celebration that seems worthy of a longer write-up. So far, I'm Quite Comfortable keeping my own council on such things.

Observation of the Winter Solstice is a phenomenon dating back to Neolithic times. This is the longest night of the year, after which, the days start to slowly take back hours.

Celebrations often include gatherings with food and story telling. Medieval practice included relighting the hearth fires at sunrise.

Finnecanalia is observed around this time as well. (I've misplaced those notes.)

Links to other people's ideas for this occasion:
* Celebrating Winter Solstice by Selena Fox
LINK: https://www.circlesanctuary.org/index.php/celebrating-the-seasons/celebrating-winter-solstice

Winter Solstice, 2019

Going around and coming around. 

Last year's celebration was lovely and intense and social. I'm not up for that again this year. 


Projects 

  • Wrist warmers - I have two pairs but I want a few more, plus they're GREAT for generic cold-weather presents
  • Mom, Sarah, Tallest Kat, Bea - all still in the works, though they're all taking shape


Notes
This will be a "stress test" of the new kitten, Odo, in our lives. I haven't done anything like an all-nighter around him, yet - but I do know where he goes when he's DONE with any given party. This will probably be good for all of us. Charles may be home this time - not sure yet, but it's a weekend.  




Day job reference
Ed-Curr all settled in to our new building. The only thing still new-feeling about this place is getting the kinks worked out of social gatherings. The gatherings themselves are increasingly social, multifacted, and engaging. 

Winter Solstice, 2018

This year is planned to be a little different - friends have floated the idea of having a wine-drunk movie night.

Projects 
Something I can carry to the Miller House without too much angst. Might pack a suitcase like I did for the Bar Night, after Search and Rescue.

*Scheepjes Ubuntu for Mom
*Scheepjes Ubuntu for Sarah
*Scheepjes Sophie for Bea
*Monmouth caps for Crown Tourney


Notes
I'm hyping this up more than they're expecting, or necessarily ready for. But dammit, it's one of my favorite traditions for myself.

Wines - Poinsettias and Mimosas?

After the fact, I can say: we spent more time with the Great British Baking Show in the background than much else. But we did watch The King's Speech and at least one other movie.

Day job reference
Ed-Curr second winter in the new building. DH's first winter in the Enid job.

Today, our newest Editor (Amy) told Holly and me about the Solstice observations at Mounds, OK. Maybe I'll do that next year - that's Just the Thing.
LINK: http://www.okhistory.org/calendar/event/winter-solstice/

Winter Solstice, 2017

Projects

Jimmy Bean Wool Craftvent Calendar, with the final product intended for the Hieber Family gift swap.

Completed the "house coat" using homespun yarn. Frogged it again pretty quickly after, but that's not the point. Its final form is the Expression Fiber Arts West King Shawl, completely out of gauge.

Background Company 

  • Dawson's Creek
  • Will and Grace
  • (little bits of 90210 and Parks and Rec)

Notes

The Craftvent Calendar included a tea packet on one of the days I was working through. Perfect.

At some point, Brisaac stayed on our couch, and needed a ride to the City in the morning.  DH did the honors, while I stayed home with a snuggly cat.

The rest of my notes for this iteration are too personal or intense for this forum.

Day job reference
Ed-Curr first winter in the new building, having moved in over Gulf Wars in March. DH at GWS.

Winter Solstice, 2016

Day job reference 
Last winter for Ed-Curr in the FST building. New building was all but done, but not yet fully permitted. DH at GWS.


Winter Solstice, 2015

Day job reference
Ed-Curr at FST building. DH at the City.


Winter Solstice, 2014

I think this is the year I misread the calendar and observed a day late. 

Day job reference

Ed-Curr at FST building. DH at the City.


Winter Solstice, 2013

All through the Winter Solstice 2013 (when I watched vigil on the longest night), all through Christmas break and all the preceding for-Christmas knitting marathons - I've wanted to make slippers against my cold wood floors. Just finally got around to it yesterday, after spending a few hours reading other designers' patterns. 

I came up with Cold Afternoon Slippers, also on this blog [linked, eventually]. The pattern is overthought and not terribly elegant, but it spoke to me where I was at that time. 

I don't remember if this was my first observance. It was close to the first, if not officially it.

Day job reference
Ed-Curr at FST building. DH at FSB, I think-?

No comments:

Post a Comment