Thursday, August 20, 2026

Now for Something Completely Different - Professional Portfolio

I am well overdue to create a professional portfolio for my skills in editing, technical writing, and project management. This seems like a reasonable place to sandbox this new focus, from the perspective of using what I have and know before quantifying what I may prefer or need.

First things first: 

LinkedIn Profile

I have worked on a number of published projects - I show up in a web-search associated with at least most of the titles.

After that: 

here is an outline of what I need to build in this space, hopefully in the near future - I have a video queued up to help me sort this out. In the meanwhile, off the top of my head, I'll need to show: 

  • Editing skills
    • Formatting, spelling, sentence structure 
    • Reading for flow, comprehension, 
    • Recognizing what is NOT there that should be 
  • Word-based editing mark-up skills
    • Track changes
    • Margin comments 
    • In-text comments
  • Writing skills based on prompts
    • Appropriately formatted text on a given topic 
    • Indication of uncertainty where I may need clarification 
  • Project Management including Communication to Stakeholders
    • Project style sheet - what assumptions am I making? What style/formatting/voice parameters are in place? 
    • Asking for clarification where I am not familiar with a concept/treatment
    • Agreed-on work parameters, tracking needs/resources/check-ins
    • Expected due dates for benchmarks including sample edits, developmental edits, etc 
My point in this space is to show my capabilities and set reasonable expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment